Saturday, September 10, 2016

Joy

Last Sunday was Fast Sunday, and honestly I thought about bearing my testimony, but I didn't end up going because right from the start, a crowed flooded the stand. In addition, one of my students was visiting my ward, so I let him have a break from hearing my voice... Today though, this early, early Sabbath Day morning, I've felt strongly about writing down what I wanted to say last Sunday, and really what I want to say and do the rest of my life. 

A quote keeps coming to my mind, one written by Henri J.M. Nouwen, which says, "We have to choose joy and keep choosing it." I've thought deeply about what that means to me, and what joy is to me. All of the things that bring joy to my life come because of Jesus Christ and true religion (doing as He would). Sometimes I find myself overwhelmed by the crummy parts of life-- all of us do at some point-- however, I know that as we turn to Christ, we will discover joy and hold it close even in difficult moments. For me, Nouwen's quote can also be read, "We have to choose Christ and keep choosing Him." 

For some it may be hard to testify of truth, but I find great joy in doing so. In 2 Nephi chapter 25, verse six, an acclamation is given, "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." I love my Savior. I know He knows me and loves me. I will always choose Him and keep choosing Him because I need joy in my life.

Happy Sunday!




No comments: