Sunday, January 29, 2017

That's all.

I would deeply love a man who is:
  • Soft. Funny. Kind. Thoughtful. Supportive. Encouraging. Disciple of Jesus Christ.
Today in church it was said that the consensus from the men in my ward when asked about the number one quality in an eternal companion was, "A girl who's fun." 

What does that mean? Is this true?

Though I have a sliver of understanding when it comes to that response, much more I felt like standing up and saying, "Where's the depth here? This woman is the one who you are going to share EVERYTHING with. EVERYTHING. The highest highs, the lowest lows, the best of the best and the worst of the worst, and your top request is that she is fun?"

Here's what I am in addition to being fun:
  • Kind.
  • Worthy.
  • Understanding.
  • Beautiful.
  • Happy.
  • Joy filled.
  • Godly.
  • Supportive.
  • Encouraging.
  • Nurturing.
  • Funny.
  • Confident. (Sometimes women don't understand that softness is attractive. Like, I love my curves because they make me feel feminine and beautiful.) 
Often when I think about preparing myself for marriage and being a disciple of Jesus Christ, I come back to this talk about Eternal Families given by President Eyring:

"There are things an elder, as he returns from his mission, must do to be true to his commitment to seek eternal life for himself and for those he loves. There is no more important commitment in time or in eternity than marriage. You have heard wise counsel to make marriage a priority in early post-mission plans. The faithful priesthood servant will do it wisely.

In considering marriage, he will see that he is choosing the parents of his children and the heritage they will have. He will make the choice with earnest searching and prayerful consideration. He will ensure that the person he marries shares his ideals for family and his convictions of the Lord’s purpose for marriage and that she is a person to whom he would be willing to trust his children’s happiness."

That's all.

*Full talk here

No comments: