Tuesday, February 17, 2015

It is Not Weight, It is Wings

Many times lately, I come away from different things feeling sad, which is rather unlike me. For a couple of months now I have felt a small pang of loneliness, which is normal for many during this time of life. It's amazing that even in a room full of people you know, you can somehow feel slightly lonely, but it happens. Last night I thought about why I'm lonely, why I have been feeling sad. I could blame it on the fact that I need to date more, that I don't 'get out' more or that people are disinterested in me. Blame, however, doesn't lead to solving problems. Ever. 

While I was contemplating the little pieces of sadness seemingly stuck inside me, I remembered something that should always be at the front of my mind and my heart, which is that Heavenly Father always needs me and I always need Him. While I can feel sad and sort of lonely, I could also be proactively strengthening my relationship with Jesus Christ and my Heavenly Father. The wonderful thing about that is, that when I put my relationship with God before everything else, He will see to it that I am filled with His love and peace about my future. His love fills the cracks of loneliness and erases the small traces of sadness. Through times of discouragement and challenges, the lasting grace of the Savior gets me through. I have faith that even though there are times when I feel sad, Heavenly Father will send angels to be there with me in everything I do. 

Obedience is the key to joy, peace and happiness in this life, and I know that when I choose the best choices, I will be strengthened in the face of discouragement. "Would Heavenly Father be pleased with me? Am I showing my divine nature? Am I letting others see Heavenly Father's love, goodness, and kindness? How can I be the woman that Heavenly Father knows I am?" These are all questions that I have continued to ask myself. I know that through the Savior's Atonement and by our Heavenly Father's plan, I can be happy and find joy. My heart, though sometimes sad, is filled with the light and love that the Gospel brings into my life. How grateful I am for the knowledge that I have a Father who taught me and prepared me to come to Earth. He helped me to understand the responsibilities that I would be given, and the accomplishments I would need to achieve while on the earth. I know-- I KNOW that I am His daughter. I cannot and will not ever question my divine heritage. 

In relief society, a sister said, "Men are that they might have joy, [not guilt]." I believe that Heavenly Father wants me to be happy, but I also need to be actively seeking the righteous, virtuous, praiseworthy things that will help me to feel that lasting joy and happiness. As I remember my divine nature and try to help others see their own, my heart can be filled and my spirit too. I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ. "The Gospel is not weight, it is wings! It carries us." Sister Jean A. Stevens said that, and it is absolutely true.

Happy Tuesday!

No comments: